The health and beauty industry has been shaken and stirred by the increasing legalization and decriminalization of cannabis. Now, they’re taking advantage of the medicinal benefits of the cannabinoid known as cannabidiol (CBD) in order to offer patients and consumers more effective solutions and products. With the boom in the CBD health and beauty market, many are looking to take advantage of it. But are the CBD health and beauty products as effective and significant as its’ claimed to be? Well... let’s find out.
CBD can be consumed through multiple methods such as inhaling, ingesting and applying the substance. Researchers have also been able to isolate the compound, making it possible to purchase products and medication containing just CBD. Researchers have also taken to producing synthetic cannabidiol, such as Epidiolex, but those man-made compounds are more likely to be associated with adverse side effects (due to the chemicals used to produce them) and does not make an accurate representation of its botanical, all natural counterpart for research. For better understanding, you could think of the synthetic versions as GMO products as a comparison, since they’re made by blending and manipulating chemicals in a laboratory, instead of being grown naturally in a greenhouse, indoors or outdoors. When people state that CBD is non-psychoactive, they’re using the wrong term but mean that one will not feel “high” after consuming it.
Cannabidiol for Health and Beauty
Cannabidiol has been thoroughly researched and has been found to offer an array of benefits, yet its exact mechanisms of action remains unclear.
Benefits of CBD for health include the following:
- Reduction and alleviation of anxiety.
- Relieves pain, especially chronic pain.
- Mood elevation which reduces depression.
- Anti-epilepetic, including reductions in seizures.
- Reducing high blood pressure, which reduces risks of heart health conditions such as heart attacks.
- Improving quality of sleep, especially for those with insomnia.
- Increases blood flow to parts of the brain associated with memory, which means that it can improve memory as opposed to the general belief that it worsens memory.
- Alleviates nausea and vomiting.
- Neuroprotective agent which means it protects cells against further damage. However, this benefit has recently been established and still needs more research.
- Reduces dependence on morphine and other addictive substances such as heroin.
- Prevents the spread of cancerous cells in breast, prostate, brain, colon and lung cancer
- Reduces incidence of diabetes.
Benefits of CBD for Beauty include the following:
- Improves skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and cold sores.
- Reduction in acne.
- Increase quality of sleep.
- Protects against bacteria.
- Reduces scarring.
- Reduces puffy eyes.
CBD is able to offer these benefits for beauty due to its medical properties such as anti-inflammation and pain-relief.
How Can CBD Offer These Benefits?
CBD can offer consumers these benefits because we have spins. Yes you heard me… because we have spins. Living creatures that have a spinal column have what is called the endocannabinoid system (the ECS). Although the ECS was discovered in the 1990s, the understanding of how it works and interacts is still a grey area. After having time to research the ECS, experts found that it is involved in several important bodily processes which includes appetite, sleep, memory and even mood. The ECS has three components called (1) the receptors, (2) enzymes and (30 the endocannabinoids.
In order to understand how CBD can deliver these benefits, consumers need to understand the relationship between CBD and the ECS receptors. The cannabinoids found in cannabis interact with two types of receptors called CB1 and CB2 (cannabinoid receptors type 1 and 2). CB1 receptors are located primarily in the central nervous system and are involved in coordination, pain, appetite, memory, mood and movement amongst others. While CB2 receptors are located in the peripheral nervous system which is involved in pain and inflammation.
The enzymes in the ECS breaks down the CBD which then binds to the receptors and leads to the activation of those receptors, thus delivering the benefits.
CBD products for health and beauty are becoming increasingly available and may be worth considering as an alternative to pharmaceutical medications where applicable. Individuals with diagnosed conditions and illness should consult with their physician and should make sure to have a thorough understanding of cannabis before attempting to treat symptoms and conditions with it.